How You can help
“It’s Not Just About a Purse. It's About Dignity.”
If you’ve landed on this page, we thank you so much for your interest in Helping Hearts & Handbags, Inc. Our mission is very simple: collecting and distributing gently-used purses filled with personal care items for women living on the streets or in homeless shelters. I wish you could see a homeless women's eyes light up when we offer her a choice of purses. She “tries them on” just like any woman would do in front of a department store mirror, chooses her favorite, and walks away with a grateful smile. Having a purse in which to store your belongings, rather than a paper sack or a plastic bag, restores a bit of dignity that makes such a difference. And when she opens the purse and sees the personal care items, along with a personally signed HH&H’s note, she is reminded there are people in the world who care and that she is not forgotten.
There are many ways you can join us in our mission of helping homeless women:
• INDIVIDUAL DONATIONS: Contact us at Lisa@HelpingHeartsandHandbags.com to donate your own gently-used medium to large size purse(s) and/or items from our Personal Care Item List (see tab above). We will happily arrange a time and place to drop them off.
• "DONATION STATION" COORDINATOR: Coordinate a Helping Hearts & Handbags, Inc. “Donation Station” Drive for purses and items. The purse/item drive can be held at your place of employment, Book Club, church, neighborhood, library, scouting troop, or any other group you think would be interested in donating. Simply contact us at Lisa@HelpingHeartsandHandbags.com for everything you’ll need to get your drive started.
• HELP US FINANCIALLY: Make a financial contribution through our PayPal link (see DONATE button below) to help us purchase Personal Care Items to fill each purse. We also gratefully accept checks made out to Helping Hearts & Handbags, Inc. We are a 501 (c) (3) charity and are happy to provide letterhead receipts for tax deduction records. And if you choose to make a financial donation, please let us know if your employer has a Matching Program for charitable contributions.
• COMPANY CONTACTS: Do you work for, or know someone who works for, a company that manufactures items on our Personal Care Item List? Because of our 501 (c) (3) charity status, companies can write off monetary contributions as well as “in-kind” donations of tissues, socks, sanitary products, etc.
- LIKE US on Facebook and share Helping Hearts & Handbags, Inc. with your social media friends and family.
We hope we’ve made it easy for you to become one of our Helping Hearts & Handbags, Inc. "Mary's Angels". Please call (908) 310-1448 or email us at Lisa@HelpingHeartsandHandbags.com if you have any questions or would like more information. Thank you!